Compact 2RU device with 16 stereo codecs perfect for multi-program distribution
25 March 2015, Cleveland Ohio, USA
Radio network operators and broadcast professionals in search of a way to distribute multiple high quality channels of audio via IP are embracing the Telos Zephyr iPort PLUS, an astonishingly flexible networked 2RU codec tailored to the needs of program distribution and long-distance audio sharing between separate studio facilities.
iPort PLUS’ efficient use of high-density Livewire™ I/O combined with multiple codecs in a single 2RU device results in a low cost per channel, especially when compared to the cost of multiple single-channel codecs. Using Zephyr iPort PLUS, broadcasters can transport multiple channels of stereo audio across IP networks with guaranteed QoS, such as VPNs, satellite links, Ethernet radio systems, and Telco or ISP-provided QoS-controlled IP services.
“The introduction of Zephyr iPort PLUS with Content Delay marks the third iteration of this product,” notes Marketing Manager Clark Novak. “Broadcasters have found Zephyr iPort to be so amazingly useful that we’ve been driven to keep improving and adding features. In fact, Zephyr iPort PLUS is so full of capabilities that some clients are calling it the most flexible multi-channel IP codec on the planet!”
The debut of Zephyr iPort PLUS marks the addition of Content Delay to a device that already contains 16 stereo codecs in a bulletproof, fanless 2RU rack device. These 16 codecs may be configured either as 8 bi-directional codecs, 16 “encode” codecs, or 16 “decode” codecs. Content Delay is perfect for program distribution to large networks that span several time zones, allowing daypart-sensitive programming to be received and stored locally, ready to air automatically at the proper time in each location.
Zephyr iPort PLUS also adds a new codec choice, in addition to its already impressive selection of MPEG AAC algorithms: Telos has partnered with the UK’s CSR to offer aptX® Enhanced coding as an option for broadcasters whose applications require it.
Standard iPort coding includes genuine Fraunhofer MPEG Layer 2, Layer 3, AAC and AAC-HE choices, plus low-delay AAC-LD, with special error resilience protection that conceals low levels of random packet loss. Zephyr iPort also includes AAC-HE v2 (High Efficiency + Parametric Stereo), the most bit-efficient codec available today. Uncompressed transmission is also supported using a linear coding mode that’s ideal for bit-perfect audio where higher bandwidth is available.
Zephyr iPort PLUS connects via standard IP networks, including private T1 or T3 lines, private WANs with MPLS, or even IP-radio links. Broadcasters with existing Axia IP-Audio networks will benefit from single-cable connection for all I/O and GPIO logic; stations without Axia can simply pair Zephyr iPort PLUS with Axia xNode audio interfaces for use as a standalone multi-stream codec.
Advanced features and capabilities that are part of the Zephyr iPort Plus toolkit include:
- 16 stereo codecs, configurable as 8 bi-directional pairs or 16 one-way streams, with ability to send audio to up to 8 IP destinations per encoder
- Optional Content Delay with SSD-based dynamic storage space allocation, configurable per codec, with synchronized delay of GPIO and user data channels
- Multiple-protocol redundant stream send, and buffer-aligned receive paths with individual
per-path VLAN tagging
- UDP, TCP, and Multicast stream types, independently configurable per WAN stream
- 20 bi-directional GPIO closures per codec channel
- Virtual endpoints, which emulate the same logic attached to hardware circuits
- Cut-in logic for Axia Element and Fusion console GPIO links
- Axia GPIO emulation logic with cut-in logic for snake operation between two GPIO xNodes
- Remote status signaling and control using virtual GPIO pins
- Three bi-directional user data channels per codec
- SNMP monitoring
- NTP synchronization for absolute-time Content Delay playback
- Extended remote control and monitoring capabilities
- Separate Gigabit LAN and WAN Ethernet interfaces, with complete WAN management of stream routing, origin and destination, audio and GPIO
Additionally, Zephyr iPort PLUS is convection-cooled for quiet, fanless operation and features Telecom-grade dual-redundant, field-replaceable power supply modules, designed for ultimate uptime under demanding service conditions.
Telos is the trusted world leader for IP and ISDN codecs, broadcast telephony and streaming audio. Visitors to NAB 2015 in Las Vegas can find out more about Zephyr iPort PLUS at the Telos Alliance display in the Central Hall, booth #C549. For information about Telos products, visit TelosAlliance.com; for media information, contact Clark Novak at ClarkNovak@TelosAlliance.com or call +1 216-241-7225.
# # #
Telos Zephyr iPort PLUS with Content Delay
Product photos may be downloaded from
About The Telos Alliance
The Telos Alliance (TelosAlliance.com) is a global leader in the research, development, and manufacturing of IP Audio, telephony, and high-performance audio processing equipment for broadcasters. Telos, Omnia, 25-Seven, Axia, and Linear Acoustic are Telos Alliance brands. The Telos Alliance is headquartered in Cleveland, Ohio USA, with additional US offices, plus sales, research and manufacturing offices around the world.